Dot Net What Not Posts

I previously blogged about creating a busy indicator in Blazor. That works fine, but there is more we can do. As my loyal reader knows, I have been trying to make my code more functional for some time, and have been using the rather fabulous LanguageExt nuget package to help. One of the most basic, but extremely useful parts of this package is the `Option` monad (oh no, the m-word!). This allows you to handle the case where the data you want doesn’t exist, without having to allow those naughty null references creep in your code. I was wondering how we could handle this in Blazor. GitHub user orthoxerox suggested creating a Blazor component with two render fragments, one for the `Some` case and one for the `None` case. This was simple, but very effective. Whilst playing with this, it occurred to me that we could extend it to combine…

I’ve been working on a new Blazor project for a few weeks, and have been bothered by the number of seemingly odd errors reported in the Visual Studio error panel. The main reason they bothered me (other than the unhelpful fact that they all claim to be on line 1 character 1 of the relevant file, which isn’t very helpful) is that the code runs fine. Whilst this has been annoying me, as things were working, I didn’t spend too much time on it.

However, I just ran into another problem, and the solution turned out to solve this one as well.

The “with” keyword is a crucial part of a functional programmer’s toolbox, but is sadly lacking in C#. In this blog post, I document the development of a template that will automatically generate a With() method for C# classes.

I recently switched to Windows 10, and have found that one really annoying habit it has is that it will randomly switch focus without warning. I can be typing an email, scrolling down through the errors in the event viewer to see what vital parts of Windows crashed today and so on, and suddenly I find that my words are not entered into the email, the events aren’t scrolling, etc.

A quick bit of searching revealed that a lot of people have had the same problem, and very few have managed to solve it. The main problem is finding out what gets the focus.

This post explains how I found out.